"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Well now I've decided to try getting creative so that this blog looks appealing without ever having to read it! (And by that I mean that I've changed the font to blue.)

But as I simultaneously work on those efforts, please note that I realized yesterday that I've not mentioned my job search and results of late. And so, as I sit on my bottom bunk and drink (much too strong) coffee with my friend's foot dangling in my face from the top bunk, I will tell you the little I've learned. Helpful or not, here it comes.

First of all, I have learned to be absolutely persistent. For a week or so, I felt as if I was applying to one job every day. That is, Whole Foods, Starbucks, nannying (did I really apply? Eh.), SKIRT magazine, Carolina Autism, etc, etc. I wrote many a cover letter, copy and pasted many manager's email addresses, eagerly awaited many phone calls, and maintained the retail job.
When I interviewed for Starbucks, I was ecstatic to think I would be making lattes with them again, although I did prepare myself mentally for what I fondly call the "coffee pores". That is, after a day's
work in that environment, I leave steeped with coffee bean smell and chocolate splash
es on my arm. And I get home with a red, oily face after working at a high pace for hours amidst the espresso, and if I do not shower before sleeping, my bed will smell of the coffee shop for days. What I mean by "coffee pores" is that coffee literally inhabit my pores.
Anyway.
A wise friend told me that on cover letters I should not talk about "job experience" because that alludes to temporary work. What right-minded business folk actively seek temporary workers? Stay away from that phrase, folks! Sadly, I'd already sent my email, and so the help my friend was giving me made me question my abilities rather than help at all. But, for you reading this, now you know if you didn't already.
Also, put on your resume that "If I do not hear back from you by (date), I will call you to follow up." This alerts the potential employer how serious you are about the job. Again, I did not do that.
0-2
Bleh.
So then, you've those three tips I've learned:
1) Persistance
2) NO "work experience" talk
3) Give a date you want to be contacted by

With all of that said, I did not strictly abide by these rules, but rather wrote honestly and genuinely and sent all papers off with prayers. Thankfully, yesterday I received a call from Carolina Autism and have an interview in... one hour and a half! (That is, 10:30). I am incredibly excited about this opportunity, and will spare no details upon documenting my experience here.
I have the following fantasy:

I will work at Starbucks for a year or so, along with my job at Carolina Autism and meanwhile will begin freelancing for a smattering of publications
(including and not limited to SKIRT magazine). Eventually I will join a staff of some sorts and be a full-time writer with them. However, I will long for the days I was able to read wonderful writers' thoughts and write papers about them, and I will realize (in my later 20's) how much I want to go back. Matthew will tell me to apply to any graduate school I would like to go and I will go on to get my master's and finally, PhD.
Somewhere along the line my thoughts will morph into something of importance.
And I will write and write and write.

But for now, I will continue to dream as I drink my coffee with nonfat milk because we're out of half and half.

No comments:

Post a Comment