"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Approximately 1:45 p.m.

I am sitting at Barnes and Noble with my computer, checking my emails and responding to important ones and catching whiffs of my smelly feet. A man with a Venti drink saunters up to me and (in a heavy Italian accent) asks if he can interrupt. I begrudgingly abide (since all I want to do is play on the internet) and he proceeds to engage me in a conversation about Macbook computers.
"I notice you have one. You like it, yes?" Sips his coffee.
"Yes, I do."
"Can you download the different Internets for it? You know, I mean like the certain ones that have Google on them?" Leans in to look at my screen.
I minimize my webpages. "Yes, the computer actually comes with the Internet on it and you can download other ones."
"Oh!" He smiles. "That is perfect, so perfect. I was so nervous about that because, you know, I am a stupid little Mozilla boy. I like the Mozilla Firefox. What do you use?"
"Safari. It comes already on the computer."
"Oh! Good, good. I was nervous about that. I am just a stupid little - well you know, I am always on Google. Google everything - they know all about me. What about the iPhone? What do you know about the iPhone?"
I look at my red 2007 Samsung flip phone. "I know nothing about iPhones."
"Well what internet provider do you use for WiFi?"
"I am using the one for Barnes and Noble, which is the ATand - "
"Oh, yes! Yes, I see. You do not have a phone you plug into your computer and pft pft, have the Internet. I am stupid with those things, I do not know. You may know much more than me."
I itch my neck. "If you buy a Macbook you can take classes and they'll teach you how to use it. They have very good customer service."
"Oh, oh! That is good. That is wonderful. So you bought your Macbook and then you took the classes?"
"Well, actually I didn - "
"No, no! Of course not. You are too smart for those things. I am so stupid when it comes to this technology stuff. I just wsh wsh go into the computer and do not know what to do. But you recommend this Mac?"
"I, uh, yes. I do. I -"
"What, do you have the one with all the fancy things on it?" Sweeps in to look closer at my screen. There is a rail between us.
"No, I just have the basic one. But I - "
"What is different with the fancy one?" Leans back out.
"Um..more memory. Maybe another type of - "
"So you are saying I should save my money and get a Macbook, eh?"
We look at one another. I nod.
"Well yes. Yes, I am."
"You have been so helpful. Thank you, thank you!"
"You're welco-"
Walks away.

2 comments: