"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

From the overflow of his heart a man speaks.

We first feel. And then we speak. This concept is one that I love, that I keep coming back to meditate upon, that reminds me to maintain my heart. It spurs me on to think about things that are good and truthful and right. Because when my heart is taken care of, when my eyes first look inward at my spirit, when my sights are set on what is good, then out of my mouth springs encouragement for others and admirations of beautiful creation.

It is as if when my heart is in a good place I can experience life entirely differently. Instead of ignoring it, I am perceptive to the sun beaming through my window. Rather than irritation when my roommates' alarms ring brightly, I take advantage of waking up earlier than expected. I get excited about a cup of coffee (actually, I'm always excited about that).
And when these small, good things are tangible, then my heart is full of joy and thankfulness for them. And eventually it will be full so that it overflows into language, and my speech will be edify others.

Until that happens, I'd like to practice silence in the mornings because I don't see why I wouldn't want to seize the advantage of sensitivity to all small joys while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment