"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Monday, March 1, 2010

"Know thyself" is what they told us at the College. "Know thyself" rings in minds of countless students, graduates and teachers, and people who visit the campus. It streams through the minds of people who do not visit it. It is an ever-present challenge set before each of us individually. Know thyself. Know who you are. And then follow the desires of your heart that are given to you.
Whitman said, "I contain multitudes." He envisioned himself at once as himself and the man down the street, the woman across the state, the child at the dock.
You contain multitudes. We could live together as friends for the entirety of an earthly life and I still would not know all of you. Perhaps even you would even still be learning about yourself.

The challenge to "know thyself" is one that, I am convinced, does not end with this degree or that milestone or a singular thought. Finding who we are created to be is an ever-emerging process that grants itself to us as we continue to live. There is no reason to be fearful of it or to reject it. There is only, ever reason to embrace it.

I am compassionate,
I am unsure.
I enjoy simple things but lend myself to complexities.
I am contradictory,
Loved,
Full of:
Grace unwarranted and Love unlimited.
I am ambitious,
too-sensitive,
overly eager,
emotion-oriented,
(getting better).

My face is not symmetrical. My eyes are blue. My hands are usually cold and my feet are most comfortable in large socks. At times I talk too much and wish to just be instead. I am busy-oriented, but rest is sweet. And I love to go to bed early.
I hate the television.
I love movies.
Celebrity magazines are a waste of time.
Internet gossip seems not to be,
but books are the best way to spend it.

Let us never stop asking who we are.


"You do not have a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear." (Romans)
"We are God's workmanship" (Ephesians)

1 comment:

  1. You are:

    Reliable.
    Witty.
    Full of His grace.
    A vessel He delights in.
    A child He adores.
    A daughter He takes pride in.
    A masterpiece like no other.

    Someone who has touched my life with eternal impact.
    My sister forever.

    You are:
    Laura Westby;
    Christ's beloved.

    ReplyDelete