"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Est. Noon

Today my hands got very sticky with flour, egg, honey, salt, yeast, water, dill, and onions.

For the first time in my life I am making bread by hand. And it is completely awesome.
The event is that someone had a baby and they don't like fruit or caramel [which I cannot comprehend]. "I will make you bread," I thought to myself. And so I am. While babysitting yesterday, I scoured through The Joy of Cooking (and felt like Julia's betrayer), and came across a recipe for Dill Bread. My heart pounded, my eyes got big, and a large smile stretched across my face.
And so here I am, waiting for the precious dough to rise. I have stirred and kneaded it, pounded and rolled it. And now the ingredients sit together as they rise in the noonday sun and I sit here on my computer, catching whiffs of dill and onion from my fingers as I type.

This, perhaps, is epic. I have already started to plan for how I can work homemade bread into my schedule, and I have daydreamed about this experience morphing into my very own bread business.
Homemade bread is simply my favorite thing to eat.
Homemade bread is wonderful.
I will conquer homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment