"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Saturday, January 16, 2010

This just in:

I am not entirely original, which should come as a surprise to most of you.

Here is what I know:
Today while I labored away at my retail job, I helped customers complete transactions across the POS (that is, Point of Service). One exceptionally cheery lady was buying clothes for her daughter. We talked about the plight of contemporary graduates and I haphazardly mentioned that, in order to record my meanderings, I started a blog. She was floored and told me all about her daughter's blog page and how she has recently, and avidly, started reading blogs written by "single and engaged early to mid-twenty year-olds who are out of college and jobless".

This intrigued me immensely. Somewhere out there in the virtual realm, there is an entire community of us - women with degrees who cannot find jobs and, along the way of attempting to find and secure something, begin blogs. The customer told me that in her experience the blogs are written by women who "exercise, eat yogurt, and walk their dogs". It's true that I was flattered to automatically enter into this stereotype, but what is more true is that I do not own a dog and I do not exercise. However, I do often eat vanilla yogurt. So, maybe it works.

Alas, all of us bloggers must find one another. We ought to band together for the common cause of ..well, for the common cause of..

...

hm.

Oh! Here: We MUST band for the common cause of union through having the same ideas, to celebrate ambition, so that we can cheer to our passions, ignite and spur one another on toward achieving our goals, propel our ideas into the realm of action, thwart feelings of isolation, feelings of worthlessness, feelings of "I can't do this". We must honor one another, challenge one another, support one another, unite! Unite! We must band!

Oh, bother.

Look, I need to be honest here. I was called in for an interview to Starbucks on Monday. I think there's a good chance I will get the job because they're hiring and I've previously worked for the company for three consecutive years. So really, I may have found a job. But, I do not regularly exercise, I do not have a dog, and I do not plan to make a career out of Starbucks. So then, I find every reason to maintain my blogging work, so that I can still document happenings, etc. You know the bit.

And I promise I will begin to be more thought-provoking. I can see how people easily become attached to their blogs. Here, I've found a sounding board that allows my free-association not only to run its course without interruption, but I can also make it available online for the entire world to see!

The world wide web is ________________.

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. YAY Laura!! I commend you on all of your ramblings and writings. I think it is an exciting time and not just a time of doubt and "what am I going to do" land.

    You rock little lady and just keep on truckin'!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete