"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The cliches hold true for a reason; people describe their inner feelings as best they can as attempts to share emotions with people they care about and as a result we are left with love being described as: fireworks, blooming flowers, chills on our necks, or butterflies in our stomachs as our breath becomes short. There are so many overstated metaphors, used over and again to try expressing what love feels like. How is it possible to describe it? It isn't.

But you and I both know we've had such moments as the above sayings try to encompass. What I mean is that whether we'd laugh and shrug away our feelings or not, we've felt "fireworks", been "short of breath", perhaps - even admittedly - experienced "butterflies".

Just now I was walking home and as I crossed the street at an intersection, I was overcome with the presence of love in my life. What I mean by that is the ability to be vulnerable with others, to feel at ease amidst imperfections, to know that there is forgiveness for mistakes, for saying the wrong thing, for mixing up coffee date times.

I suppose in this moment I have so many thoughts regarding what I think and how I feel about love that this blog post comes across scattered and disjointed. Perhaps it makes sense, perhaps it means nothing to whomever is reading this. [Doesn't that further support the stereotypes of how love makes us act? Here I am, trying to describe to you the depth of my feelings and my thoughts and I am miserably failing.]

It's alright. Perhaps next time I'll take time to edit my attempts at a post about love, or perhaps again I'll revel in the confusion that arises from trying to adequately express how love makes me feel. At any rate, I know love is Divine.

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    I love reading your blog! You have a natural gift, a vocation and a voice....Whatever career you choose (or are chosen for)I hope writing is involved!

    ReplyDelete