"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Doorframe

So much of a business ushers in a commercial-grade way of life. It's that bit of it that requires a certain amount of trendiness so that young millennials will come in and approachability so a baby boomer feels comfortable, too. I think it's called relavancy, and it demands a lot of attention.

So what a refreshing change today when an elderly woman and her caregiver visited the shop. She seems to have Alzheimer's, seems slightly confused and, although having been before, gazes around at the place with wonder. She exclaimed with glee when I handed her latte off. I felt her tangible excitement at enjoying the drinks alongside her caregiver.

And right after, a young mother with two children under three; a baby with an easy smile. It made me pause again, to look at that small person who has no care for what is popular, what trends, or to find the cutting edge. A person who just is, who reached his chubby arms toward me and smiled.

And for all the numbers demanding my brainspace this week, for all the future planning to ensure we stick around, in those moments I was here. Serving coffee to an elderly woman and a baby's mother who both wordlessly taught me something in our brief exchanges; we all just were.

The mother opened the door and framed in it was Monday's sunset. I admired the colors until she closed the door. And that was it.

That I might be more like the old woman, that I could find amazement in small things like the baby. This is to be content. Carpe diem, they say. But maybe all that means is experiencing the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment