"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Friday, May 9, 2014

To talk about one's thoughts, feelings, or experiences with others

Carve out your story and serve me its lines. Tell me about how your father's grey hair shone in the light those summer nights when he hunched and did dishes at the kitchen sink. Tell me how your mother's hands looked when she held a small needle and sewed patches on your worn jeans,

or how your brother's gums were bright and pink when he lost those teeth.

Tell me how your childhood home smelled, how your spirits rose along with the breeze from the sea through its windows. Or how the linoleum on the bathroom floor cracked and yellowed with the years, how you saw it out of the corner of your eye that year when you turned ten and blew out birthday candles with a group of elementary-school friends.

Tell me. I want to hear. And then listen, because I want to tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment