"Our pace took sudden awe" -Emily Dickinson

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pleasantly, perfunctory

These calm nights are the ones we look to for reprieve. These calm nights are the ones we hoard in our back pockets and walk around with in the middle of next week's transcript. These calm nights remind our spirits that rest rejuvenates.

That rest rejuvenates,

as we are able to reflect,
re-imagine,
retreat.

It's remembering that I can scoop a part of my spirit and bring it closer to my mind, that these two parts of me are not, in fact, separate. That after all this work, all that time, so many hiccups, that I am still Laura. And given enough times like these to chip away at all of the external debris I've gathered along this route, I am still Laura at the end of this night.

With my husband reading his book over there by the light source. And the dog with his cocked head on my arm. With this patchwork blanket across my lap and its felt side down so that my legs burn with heat, with the silence between us all acting as a basin of peace, with my head against the recliner.



No comments:

Post a Comment